Over the course of this pregnancy, I’ve been asked a lot about the pieces that I’ve been wearing to accommodate my bump.
I have shared a haul and how to style pieces up during the summer in a video, which you can watch below, but summer styling is something that’s fairly easy to do if you know what you like to wear and how to combat the awkward ways that a bump could possibly get in the way. This isn’t my first rodeo after all, and I’ve learnt a lot since my first pregnancy! Leggings are super comfortable, but I wore them so much when I was expecting Isla that older me really wanted to mix it up this time round.
Maternity Style Tips
I’ve got a few rules that I tend to go by when I’ve looked for maternity clothes, because the majority of the time I find it’s not entirely necessarily to immediately rely on the maternity section.
- If it’s got buttons, make sure to size up and ensure it’s a comfortable stretchy material to avoid gaping
- If it’s got an elastic waist, check the style to see if it’s an item that will still look OK above your bump
- Cycle shorts and oversized t-shirts are your best friend!
- LLF: Loose Fitting & Floaty, especially when it comes to tops and dresses
- Square neck, milkmaid style dresses suit any pregnant womxn
- A basic neutral bodycon dress is a must
- Oversized playsuits are super comfortable and still look cute
- Make sure jumpsuits are fitted up top and flow down – culottes always look super nice
- For trousers, going for something maternity style is a safe bet for comfort. Zips can really rub on your skin if you’ve not got a stretch band
- Chuck a tshirt over a midi skirt/bodycon dress and make a knot at the front for a simple outfit
- Zips on the back of dresses are questionable – go for stretch
- Midi/maxi style dresses are my go-to!
I’m always asked what sizes that I go for too! I’m 5ft5 and usually a 6-8 on websites such as ASOS so I use that as a basic guide. When pregnant, depending on the item and the height of the model on the website I’m buying from, I’ll go for sizes between 8-12
With that said, I’ll caveat this by saying it is your body and you know best what would look good on you, I can’t do that for you – this is just what I go for!